Scabies Treatments You Can Use to Help Eliminate Mites
Scabies is a skin disease that is spread among humans via skin contact transmission. Scabies is extremely contagious and if you know of someone who is suffering from scabies you should avoid any sort of contact with that person as much as possible. Scabies are tiny little mites that live off of hosts, most commonly humans and live under the surface of the skin on their host. Scabies is transmitted through skin contact in humans and is most easily transmitted during sexual intercourse, as skin contact is at a maximum. Scabies mites can only live for up to 3 days without a host of any kind. Though, with human hosts the scabies mites can live for up to 1 month. If you or someone you know is suffering from scabies there are a variety of scabies treatment solutions that are available on the market that can help you reduce your itching, scratching and help kill the mites for good to prevent them from spreading over your body further.
Most scabies treatment solutions can be purchased from your local pharmacy and some require the prescription of your Doctor. Let's take a look at some of the scabies treatment solutions on the market today so that you can see what some of your options are:
1. A mite killer known as Permethrin or "Elimite" is a scabies treatment that has been shown to eradicate scabies from sufferers. The cream is applied and left on overnight. The next morning it is washed off. This cycle is normally repeated for a week. Permethrin is approved as a viable scabies treatment and is OK to use for people older than 2 months of age. Read more about permethrins from Cornell University.
Naturasil Topical Cream is an effective treatment for scabies as well as other types of human mites. It rapidly eradicates microscopic mites without the use of harmful pesticides like permethrin. Many conventional forms of scabies creams and lotions consist of hazardous carcinogens and toxic chemicals.
Naturasil for Scabies Topical Cream is formulated from all-natural ingredients. Active ingredients include jojoba plant extracts and lac sulfuris, which is a mineral used in treating various forms of skin disorders. This restorative skin cream also contains high amounts of alpha-terpinene-4-ol, which is an anti-fungal agent extracted from various tropical plants.
The ingredients in Naturasil Topical Cream are effective in treating scabies as well as secondary infections resulting from the condition. Only U.S. Pharmaceutical grade extracts are used in the formulation. Treatment is fast-acting because the cream has lipophilic properties. This means each compound dissolves easily in fat, so absorption into the skin is instantaneous.
Naturasil Topical Cream can be used with Naturasil Sulfur-Lavender soap as well as Naturasil Liquid for Scabies. Using these products together decreases the chance of severe scabies mite infestations.
2. Crotamiton is another scabies treatment that has been approved for the use with scabies in adults. It is not recommended for Crotamiton to be used with children. This scabies treatment is a topical solution of 10% lotion and 10% cream (crotan, eurax). There have been many success stories with Crotamiton but there have been many people as well with an equal amount of non-success.
3. Ivermectin is a specialized mite killer and antiparasitic medication that can be taken orally. This medicine has been used as a strategic means of eliminating scabies and preventing them further. Although, this medicine isn't FDA approved for the use with scabies, but there have been many cases where this has helped rectify the situation properly. It's recommended to take Ivermectin at a dosage of 200 micrograms per kilogram of body weight. This is considered a single dose.
You should then follow up this initial dose with another one a couple weeks afterwards. Since Ivermectin is not a topical solution it is more or less used as a backup means when topical solutions have failed. Ivermectin has a greater risk of side effects than other topical solutions, so it's recommended to use this as a backup scabies treatment after trying other topical solutions.
4. Another scabies treatment is 30 grams of a cream known as "Lindane". This is also a topical scabies treatment and is applied from the neck down and subsequently washed off after 8 hours. Though, it is extremely important that Lindane not be used when the skin is severely irritated or wet. Lindane has been known to cause seizures if an overly abundant amount of it is used. Lindane is not recommended as first line of defense, but rather only if the patient has had poor success with other topical scabies treatment solutions.
5. Sulfur in petrolatum being used as a cream and applied topically is also known as a scabies treatment. The FDA has not approved this but there have been cases of success with this scabies treatment. This solution is safe for adults and babies.
If you believe you have scabies, consult your Doctor right away to discuss which option is right for you.